Friday 7 September 2012

The Truth Shall Prevail


Well, there are usually only 2 possible reasons that I left Kaplan:

·         “Asked to leave” sounds like being sack, or

·         Resigned

The answer has to be none of the above.

In fact, there could be future ammendment to the rules regarding Accountants in Singapore which is inconvenient for me to mention in this blog. So I can only justify my defence with existing information available.
 
When some lecturers left Kaplan, Andrew and I are invited to assist their team to retain the existing student for the ACCA programme. It was very tough as we are seen as new faces in Singapore. Not many people in Singapore knew us and Kaplan spent quite a lot of money to get us in there i.e. weekly flight tickets, hotels which has been included in our salary. I don’t think they are making much; probably the classes are running at a loss. But they still run it anyway for the sake of the student. At the same time, Kaplan also ran parallel classes conducted by their existing Singapore lecturers.

I tell you it was really enjoyable working parallel with the Singapore lecturers and even though we were lecturing the same paper, we never criticise each other. We share notes, tips and well, just about anything relating to our papers. It is a really an open platform that you could use another lecturer’s note for your lecture, no copyright issue whatsoever.

I hate to brag but my performance there was GOOD. I even managed to produce a Singapore 1st Prize Winner for P2. Fyi, he told me that Q2 on restructuring was easy and helps him to gain a lot of marks. Guess my consolidation method helps and luckily, I managed to attach a previous Paper 3.6 (Old paper of P2) past year question in my revision kit last minute and he also referred to the Kaplan revision kit to revise. He told me that he only seriously started revising right after my revision class which was conducted during the first week of Nov 2011. The management also complimented me for the excellent passing rate in front of the lecturers. I attached the parting gift that Kaplan management gave me and Andrew on our last day.
 
But the sad moment came; we are not sustainable financially as it takes another 4 years or so to make a name for ourselves (that is if students like us). Moreover, the existing lecturers are already good enough to take over from us. So the management thanked us for our services and no, we were not sacked from Kaplan. We fully understand Kaplan’s situation and again it is not convenient to explain further.

Like what my student said in the forum, “It was a sad story”. I almost cried when I told my F7 students there but I still managed to hold my tears till the class ends. I felt that I have disappointed them when their seniors recommended me but I can’t take them through P2. They have already gotten used to my consolidation method. The most I could do was to give all of them my P2 written notes and materials to help them of which I did last term. They wanted me to stay and teach them but I just can’t. My sms and email can confirm this!
 
 







About two weeks ago, Kaplan asked if I could spare some time for P2 Jan 2013 Intake because my F7 students are already familiar with my consolidation method. The existing lecturer is very good just that our methods are different and it is difficult for students to relearn another method. It wasn’t easy but I couldn’t accept the offer because I am extremely tired travelling to Singapore. I felt sick couple of times during the two semesters. Believe me! It is easier to say yes than no. I had to let the offer pass and the saying “No, I can’t” was difficult that I had to mumble it out.

I always keep any communication with colleges private however, in this case, I apologise to Kaplan management that I have to reveal the offer merely to counter the notorious claim by others. Kaplan management has been extremely good to me during my two semesters with them. I wish them to know that it was very difficult for me when I said I can’t accept the offer.

Come to think of it, I am surprised that the student mentioned I was asked to leave and made it sound like I have been sacked. Whoever told the student that information must be someone the student trusted very much; resulting in him/her making public such erroneous claim. I believe the student has an acquaintance who is very familiar with Singapore which makes me suspect that the information must have been obtained from a Malaysian lecturer lecturing in Singapore.

I hope my suspicion is wrong because I know all of them as my good friends even though we taught at different colleges in KL. I just hope they won’t simply twist the facts. I always hold on to the belief that lecturers should act professionally and ethically. Anyway, I give them the benefit of doubt here; everyone is innocent until proven guilty!!! Rest assured! I also won’t pursue further on this as I prefer to be ignorant than to find out who it is. I know it is going to hurt even more if I found out.

No comments:

Post a Comment